“When we help ourselves, we find moments of happiness, When we help others, we find lasting fulfillment.”
What fills your bucket each and every day? What provides you never ending happiness or fulfillment? Take a moment to think about this. In today’s quote author and speaker Simon Sinek reminds us that when we help ourselves we find pockets or moments of happiness but it is when we help others happiness or fulfillment become everlasting.
In 2017 Jenny Santi wrote an article in Time about The Secret to Happiness Is Helping Others. It focuses on several tips to doing just that:
1. Find your passion. Our passion should be the foundation for our giving. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put into that giving.
2. Give your time. The gift of time is often more valuable to the one receiving it and is more satisfying for the giver than money ever could. We don’t all have the same amount of money, but we all do have time on our hands to help others.
3. Give to organizations with transparent aims and results. Honesty is key.
4. Find ways to integrate your interests and skills with the needs of others. Be selfless. Be willing to give more than you receive.
5. Be proactive, not reactive. Choose wisely as to what to give or devote your time to that coincides with your values.
When we learn to serve others on a daily basis and make this our why that is when that proverbial bucket of happiness will never go empty and your relationships with others will soar.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards developing your relationship skills?