Welcome to the Our Moral Compass Podcast. Each daily reading focuses on a different quote on how we can best apply it to our own moral compass and one of the five areas in Social Emotional Learning: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills and Responsible Decision Making. Thank you for listening and we hope you consider subscribing to the podcast for future episodes.
Where Loyalty Comes From
“There are many ways to motivate people to do things, but loyalty comes from the ability to inspire people.”
We all know where motivation comes from for us. It is that innate desire to achieve something to better the lives of others including ourselves. There are tons of motivators out there so the ways we are motivated in essence is limitless. But where does loyalty come from? In today’s quote British-American author and inspirational speaker Simon Sinek says that loyalty comes from the ability to inspire people. What a beautiful and powerful word—-inspire. Just thinking of it, typing/writing it or even just saying that word by itself leaves me with a level of excitement in the pit of my stomach. It is like a spark that ignites from within. It’s hope and promise. But what are some ways in which we can inspire others to bring forth that ability for others to become loyal?
In a 2015 Forbes blog written by Carol Kinsey Gorman she writes about 7 Ways Unforgettable Leaders Inspire Loyalty. There are many ways out there but I think these 7 will serve as a good starting point for us all to remember how to inspire loyalty:
1) They encourage you to continuously improve. Promoting your success is second nature to them. This is through a healthy balance of acknowledgment and pushing us to improve.
2) They trust you. They take on the responsibility of choosing you to get the job done. They are committed to you.
3) They know you – they really know you. They know more about you than what you do on the job. They know who you are behind the job-your family, your interests outside of work, etc.
4) They include you. They make you a part of the process or the journey from the very beginning. You and your opinions matter.
5) They share your values. They believe in what you believe. You both are on the same team.
6) They join your team. They are alongside you every step of the way. Position doesn’t matter. The goal does.
7) They motivate you. They pose questions that leave you curious, energized, engaged, and highly motivated.
When we show our loyalty to others they will respond with that same level of loyalty two fold. There is no other sign of mutual respect than that.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards developing your relationship skills?
To subscribe to the podcast please go to Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Music from https://filmmusic.io
A special thank you to Feedspot for recognizing the Our Moral Compass podcast as one of the Top 10 Social Emotional Learning Podcasts on the internet. It is an honor to be amongst the other podcasts on this list as we all strive to make this world a better place.