Welcome to the Our Moral Compass Podcast. Each daily reading focuses on a different quote on how we can best apply it to our own moral compass and one of the five areas in Social Emotional Learning: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills and Responsible Decision Making. Thank you for listening and we hope you consider subscribing to the podcast for future episodes.
Let Us Be Authentic And Embrace Who We Are Destined To Become
“Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go of who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are.”
Life is a process. We all know that or we ought to know this by now. It takes a lot of work and a lot of practice. We go through many experiences, some good, some bad. Whatever those are and how we handle them helps us to become who we are. And what we were yesterday, is different from who we today and will be different again yet again tomorrow. We are constantly growing and changing. In essence we are coming into our own authenticity. It is through this that we live our life according to our own values and goals, rather than those of other people. It is our true self.
Author, lecturer and podcast host Brene’ Brown’s quote serves as a reminder that it is through our daily practices in letting go of who we think we are supposed to be and embracing who we are that makes us authentic. Loving ourselves unconditionally, recognizing this and doing so each and everyday. Dr. Michelle Shahbazyan wrote a blog in 2020 called How to Be Authentic and how we can best express our core beliefs and personality to others:
- Accept yourself for who you are: Focus on accepting and appreciating who you are as a unique individual which includes your flaws as well.
- Support your self esteem. Every person has valid thoughts and ideas, and is gifted and intelligent in unique ways. Follow your own path.
- Act on your personal beliefs and values. Be in touch with your moral compass and their personal set of beliefs which should be reflected in our daily behaviors, what makes you happy what what you would want to give back to the world.
- Put time into personal growth. Don’t neglect the things that interest you in favor of pursuing whatever someone else believes to be popular or socially required. Pursue what you and you alone want.
- Be fully present in whatever circumstances you find yourself. Fully focus on the experiences, conversations, and interactions you’re having in the present moment.
- Trust your intuition when it comes to behavior and relationships. This can also form a “moral compass” to help guide you in making personal decisions. Consistency is key.
- Express your thoughts and feelings. Talk about your opinion when it matters to you and speak your mind and communicate when you have a problem or are appreciative of something.
- Ask people for help when you need it. Accept that you aren’t perfect and ask for help when needed as it shows a sign of humility and shows that you respect the skills and talents of the people in your life.
- Be vulnerable. Share personal information about yourself and be open about your flaws as you start to trust others.
- Don’t put on a different face or personality for social functions. Simply be yourself.
- Don’t tell lies unless they’re absolutely necessary. Honesty is key.
- Maintain long-term relationships. Build trust and respect with other people.
Remember that your authenticity will become your legacy. Always seek to continue to learn and grow. You owe that to yourself.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards improving your self awareness?
To subscribe to the podcast please go to Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Music from https://filmmusic.io
A special thank you to Feedspot for recognizing the Our Moral Compass podcast as one of the Top 10 Social Emotional Learning Podcasts on the internet. It is an honor to be amongst the other podcasts on this list as we all strive to make this world a better place.