“Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.”
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Mediocrity is the quality or state of being mediocre which means being of moderate quality and not very good. British writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s quote serves a reminder that when we live a life in mediocrity we know nothing but what is in front of us; there is aspiration to make more of ourselves because ignorance of what we are truly capable of becoming is almost non-existent. It is when we try to tap into our talents and/or gifts where our inner genius within each of us comes shining through. The question is how do we bring out our inner genius? Joan Moran of the Huffington Post wrote an article on the 6 Ways to Find Your Inner Genius:
1. Look at Your Life Like Giant Goodie Basket-Creativity lies within this basket. All of our thoughts, feelings, emotions, ideas, desires, dreams, virtues and experiences are also within this basket. Each of these contribute to what makes us a genius.
2. Creativity Takes Courage-We need to take risks, make mistakes and have plenty of leaps of faith otherwise our lives will become unproductive and unfulfilled.
3. There Are No Limits On This Journey-The only limits we have are the ones we place on ourselves.
4. Don’t Resist-Live with intention and realize when thoughts of resistance creep in that it is trying to take way your spirit and make you less than what you were born to be.
5. Don’t Get Separated From the Source of Your Thinking-Remember that when we think differently, think beyond the obvious, below the surface, and beyond cause and effect our creativity and the genius within it comes out.
6. Be Vulnerable-The ability to manage and handle uncertainty and change helps you create a vision — and there is no vision without vulnerability.
We are all unique. We all have genius within us. Let’s reach into that basket of goodies and make it known.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards improving your self awareness?