Welcome to the Our Moral Compass Podcast. Each daily reading focuses on a different quote on how we can best apply it to our own moral compass and one of the five areas in Social Emotional Learning: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills and Responsible Decision Making. Thank you for listening and we hope you consider subscribing to the podcast for future episodes.
Our Moral Compass: I Will Not Sink
“The waves have rolled upon me, the billows are repeatedly broken over me, yet I am not sunk down.”
-Mercy Otis Warren
Like waves in the ocean that are a constant so are the challenges that we face throughout our lives. Poet and playwright Mercy Otis Warren’s quote serves as a reminder that despite those waves or challenges that roll upon us and attempt to break us down as long as we hold true to our moral values and principles we shall overcome.
But the question we often face is how? In a blog written by University of People entitled 10 Ways To Overcome Challenges Life Throws At You there a tips in which we can overcome anything that is thrown our way:
- Make a plan. Plan ahead by looking back on past challenges in your life and the challenges you have struggled with. Be proactive versus reactive.
- Know you’re not alone. We aren’t and will never be the only ones who have faced certain challenges. Reach out to those that have been there and find out what they did overcome things.
- Ask for help. There is no shame in being vulnerable.
- Feel your feelings. If you try avoid or push off your feelings they will never fully go away and will resurface sooner or later. Face them head on and deal with them through journaling or talking with someone you trust.
- Accept support. Asking for help is one thing but actually accepting it is the other. Be open to help.
- Help others. If you see others struggling with something that is similar to something you have experienced, pay it forward and help them out. That is what true friends really do.
- Think big. Be open to take risks and don’t let certain negative thoughts get in your way in for reaching the stars.
- Positive mindset. What you think becomes your reality. Be mindful and live life with a growth mindset rather than a fixed mindset.
- Don’t give up. Grit and perseverance can help you overcome anything. Power through.
- Work smart, not hard. Begin with the end in mind and stay on the path towards greatness.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards defining/refining your own moral compass?
To subscribe to the podcast please go to Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Music from https://filmmusic.io
A special thank you to Feedspot for recognizing the Our Moral Compass podcast as one of the Top 10 Social Emotional Learning Podcasts on the internet. It is an honor to be amongst the other podcasts on this list as we all strive to make this world a better place.