Welcome to the Becoming The Change Podcast. Each daily reading focuses on a different quote on how we can best apply it to our own moral compass and one of the five areas in Social Emotional Learning: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills and Responsible Decision Making. Thank you for listening and we hope you consider subscribing to the podcast for future episodes.
The Thief of Time
“Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!”
Procrastination is one of the worst time killers that many of us have faced at one time or another. In today’s quote Writer Charles Dickens calls it the thief of time and cautions us to collar them or in other words take charge of it and control it before it controls us. It can be a daily struggle for some and the question that often surfaces is how can we overcome this in order to lead more productive lives? Luckily for us Kylee Ross of Mindful wrote an article in September 2020 provided us with 11 Ways to Finally Stop Procrastinating:
1. Focus on Long-Term Happiness
2. Give Yourself Mini Assignments-makes tasks a little more manageable when it is broken up into smaller, digestible tasks.
3. Differentiate Inspiration and Motivation-make it your why.
4. Try the Pomodoro Technique-turn off all distractors and set a timer to work soley on the task; then reward yourself when the timer goes off with what would normally be your distractor
5. Build in Time for Procrastination
6. Recognize When You Fall into Patterns of Structured Procrastination
7. Set Fixed Amounts of Time for Important Tasks
8. Hold Yourself Accountable
9. Keep Distraction Out
10. Reflect on the Root Causes of Procrastination
11. Make an Appointment with Yourself
Apply one or all of these to help you overcome procrastination. It takes time, dedication and effort but it will be well worth it in the long run.
What does this quote mean to you and how can you apply today’s message towards managing yourself better?
To subscribe to the podcast please go to Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Music from https://filmmusic.io
A special thank you to Feedspot for recognizing the Becoming The Change podcast as one of the Top 10 Social Emotional Learning Podcasts on the internet. It is an honor to be amongst the other podcasts on this list as we all strive to make this world a better place.